Sunday, September 26, 2010

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx

The Baltimore Book Festival was this weekend. Who went?


If you were there Saturday, chances are good that you saw this guy; chances are even better that you saw his hair. But seriously, Andy Poxon is 16 years old, looks 12, and can shred a guitar like nobody's business. He's an accomplished blues singer, songwriter, and guitarist with a full-fledged 13-song album, and he's not even out of high school yet! You can listen to the songs on his website, download them, or even buy the CD. And I definitely recommend it.

In other news, I walked away from the festival with 4 books for $9. I probably shouldn't have bought anything because I don't really have room for any more books, but I couldn't resist. I got a book of Georgia O'Keeffe paintings (by Nancy Frazier), because of a conversation I had with an acquaintance of mine about the best way to practice painting – copy other people's work. Over and over. So that's what I'm going to try to do because I like to paint, but I am so out of practice! I also got John Hedgecoe's Complete Photography Course, which is a little antiquated because it's all 35 mm (but I think that's actually kind of cool!), The Art of Gift Wrapping by Jane Cornell (an awesome and beautiful $1 find), and another book that I intend to use as a gift, so I won't mention the name, in case that person is reading this.

And that's about it. Sorry these updates are coming so late in the week; I've been rather busy with other school work and with looking for a second job. One more post coming tonight or tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Since writing this – and then syndicating it to my main blog, the one I had before this class – Andy's dad has commented on my blog entry, asking for permission to quote me on Andy's website. Go to the Press page at andypoxon.com to see it.

    I guess this means my name quest is over. More on that in a future blog post!

    ReplyDelete