Sunday, September 12, 2010

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't."

– Unknown author/coiner, but I found it at Board of Wisdom

I've been making websites since I was about 12 or 13, when I taught myself HTML (HyperText Markup Language) from a book. Yes, I was a geek—am a geek. That said, I've worked with HTML (and the newer CSS) off and on for over a decade.



In 7th grade, I redesigned my school corporation's website, and the director of my jr./sr. high school's computer club (called Buddy Step-Up, which is since defunct) liked it enough to ask if we could take over the corporation's web design. We got it approved, and my design went live. It went through a couple of different iterations after that; it's now unrecognizable, and frankly, I'm not a huge fan of the latest design, which uses Javascript and is rather slow (sorry Ben, if you're the designer; it's nothing personal!).

In any case, I'm not yet up-to-date on the newest version of HTML (which is 5.0), not that it's officially "released" yet, but it is available for people to use while the bigwigs work out the bugs. So, I guess I would like to learn some of the new tags added in version 5.0. I know about the video tag, and it's very easy to use. What I don't know, however, is how to make something like this nifty little page that lets the user drag the text boxes to the trash can. While this looks very simple and, at first glance, not very useful, I think there could be some interesting applications for it. One thing I could do is make a website with short stories on it, and then use this code in order to provide the reader with a way to track what he/she has already read. The reader would drag a story to a trash can, or something else, and it would disappear. He or she could then go through the rest of the stories (or other website elements), out of order, until there is nothing left to read. Then it's time to log off.

Granted, this trash can webpage is actually done with HTML and Javascript, which I don't know at all, but I do know that it wouldn't be possible without the update to HTML. Maybe it's time to learn Javascript, at least the basics.

I've done programming before but never with Java or Javascript. On the other hand, I did use Alice for a class in undergrad; it's like a front-end to Java, and it's very cool. The user can program in Java without realizing it. It's just like making an animated story. Seriously, it's just drag-and-drop, moving characters and other elements around to create an animated Java program. It's designed for high schoolers and college students, so it's very use to use, once you know the basics of the program. Check it out if you're interested in programming; ignore this paragraph if you're not.

1 comment:

  1. So cool that you know so much about programming. Keep posting these little tips; I find them very helpful. And love that Alice is a gift from Carnegie Mellon.

    ReplyDelete