Thursday, October 7, 2010

"As for your fears that I will lose myself in these unknowne large waters, or be swallowed up in some stormie gust: abandon those childish fears, for worse then is past cannot happen, and there is as much danger to returne, as to proceed forward."

Captain John Smith (yes, that John Smith)

The Waterfront Promenade was voted Best Place to Run in Baltimore. I had to double-check to make sure I was thinking of the right place, but I was (and maybe the whole of the harbor is considered Waterfront Promenade, but I'm unclear on that). This is the famous Inner Harbor area, where I do, in fact, see a lot of runners. And just last week, I was one of them. I had planned on going to U.B.'s kickboxing class on Saturday but didn't make it, so I decided to go for a brisk walk/run around the harbor instead.

I had no idea how big the harbor is. The Waterfront Promenade is, apparently, 7 miles long. I don't know what that includes (is that from the start of the Promenade, at Pratt and Light Streets, all the way around Tide Point Marina and Canton, and back to Pratt and Light?), but anyway, it's bigger than I had expected. Actually, I didn't know what to expect.


But when I went for my walk/run, I went up past The Rusty Scupper and into a really nice subdivision area. I don't know if it's apartments or condos or what, but they look really nice. I wound up passing the Domino Sugar factory, ending at Tide Point Marina, right by the Baltimore headquarters of world-famous Under Armour. From this marina, there's an excellent view of the harbor that I can't even convey with one picture (because it's so big), but I'll post one as a teaser.


I wish you could see the whole thing.

3 comments:

  1. Do you have a car or way of traveling out of the city? There a few parks right outside of the city that are only about a 20 minute ride give or take a few minutes. One is Patapsco State Park which you can get to off of 95 and some one in old Ellicott City that you might like. They are woody, scenic places, but still, something to look at plus old Ellicott City is scenic in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've no idea whether or not it's any good for runners, but I see enthusiastic-looking joggers all the time out at Ft. McHenry. It's a consistently wonderful place to go--even on the hottest most miserable days there's some wind off the water--and you can watch the container ships come in and out and the little sailboats scud around in the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, no car, unfortunately. Actually, it's usually not that big a deal. It's cheaper NOT to have a car, BUT it's annoying if I do want to leave Baltimore.

    ReplyDelete