Saturday, October 2, 2010

"I'm twelve. But I've been twelve for a long time."

Eli in Let the Right One In

Having seen the original Swedish movie Let the Right One In (2008) – and knowing that I eventually want to read the 2004 book on which it was based – I was appalled when I realized that there is already an American remake coming out. Today, in fact. It's called Let Me In.

Having had a little time to calm down a bit, I'm still not sure what I think of this. The original movie was great, and I have little faith that an American remake will do the story justice. Then again, I haven't read the book, so the only basis for comparison that I'll have is the Swedish movie. I'm starting to wonder if that's fair or not.

As a reader/writer, I guess maybe it isn't fair; maybe I should judge Let Me In on how well it translates the book's story to video. But as a movie buff/writer, I think it's completely fair. The American movie scene is saturated with remakes and adaptations, so much so that, whenever a new one comes out, I'm immediately cynical about it.

Why is this? Is it fair? What do others think?

For your viewing pleasure, I'm going to include the trailers for each of the movies now. The first one is the original Låt den rätte komma in (Let the Right One In); the second one is the American Let Me In.



1 comment:

  1. Esteldreaming seems to agree with me.

    http://rogermarket.com/2010/10/02/reb-15-im-twelve-but-ive-been-twelve-for-a-long-time/#comments

    ReplyDelete