Sunday, October 17, 2010

“It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.”

Albert Einstein

I signed up with the website last year, and this year, I had every intention of participating in NaNoWriMo for real. But I don't know if I'll have the time and stamina to do it, and it's not just because of the standard "I don't know if I can write 50,000 words in 30 days" issue.

You see, I tend to get caught up in my TV shows and my computer, and before I know it, the day is over; I have no time left. I can get my homework done and get through work, but at the end of the day, I just want to relax with my computer and TV. As a TV and computer/Internet enthusiast and hopeful TV writer, it's thrilling when I can manage to watch/do it all; but as a writer of traditional stories, who should really be reading and writing literature more than I do, I hate it. I hate my obsession with and reliance on technology. In that sense, I guess it's kind of ironic that NaNoWriMo is online.

I'm still trying to come up with a story idea that I like, a roadmap for a novel. I have an idea or two that may work, but I need to set aside some time to think about them more. I've already finished reading one of my class textbooks ahead of schedule, so I'd like to finish the other one in the next few days; that means I'll have a few extra hours in the next week or two to think about NaNo. There's one story concept in particular that I love, but I don't know if it's sustainable in a 50,000-word novel. It might be better as a short. I guess I'll just have to try it and see.

Is anyone else going to try NaNo this year? Do you already have your idea ready? It's difficult because you are supposed to write something entirely new, something you haven't worked on previously (though you can have a plan and maybe a few lines that you want to use). The point is that you have to plan it specifically for NaNo. So, what are your hangups? What do you find most challenging about NaNo? I know Jessica has done it before. Any insights, Jessica?

No comments:

Post a Comment