Thursday, October 7, 2010

"I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty."

John Waters

Okay, when bulk trash pick-up is voted Baltimore's 3rd Best City Service – well, I think we need some new services.


Because how boring and gross is that? We might as well call Baltimore itself the world's biggest trash can because I think that's what "bulk trash" says to me: big trash, butt load of trash, Crap City. The world's dump. It's no wonder you see couches, tires, etc., on the streets of Baltimore every month.

Just below the #1 Charm City Circulator (which is great, don't get me wrong, but it has its drawbacks), we have single-stream recycling. Okay, in an increasingly greener world, that's pretty cool. But #3 needs to be something special to counteract all that boring...ness. How about a Metro subway with more than one line? Granted, the Red Line is all but official, but it won't be here and ready to use until at least 2016, and even then, it's only one new line. What do we do in the meantime? Apparently, we throw out our appliances and furniture.

I'm just glad rat eradication didn't make it into the top 3.

P.S. Why is it that, when I do a Google Image Search for "bulk trash Baltimore," John Waters appears on the first page?

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I work in DC and the public transportation is so much better here than in Baltimore. I can't believe the two cities don't coordinate a little better to make traveling between them somewhat efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. They have the MARC, and it doesn't even run on weekends. But they did recently introduce the CharmCard, which can be used on public transportation in Baltimore, D.C., and other local systems (Virginia, e.g.). That's kind of cool. Now I can use the same card when I go to D.C. and don't have to buy a temporary fare card.

    ReplyDelete