Saturday, October 9, 2010

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true."

Robert Wilensky

Okay, it isn't exactly Shakespeare, but I think I've got about everything on my writer's website that I wanted to have by the due date on Monday. Of course, I will add more in the future, but this is it for now. Here is a link to the temporary location (my free U.B. webspace); I'm going to work on transferring it to my rogermarket.com domain – and, thus, self-hosting my Wordpress blog – at some point, but that's not a priority right now. We'll see it on class on Monday, briefly, but I wanted to post the link anyway, especially for those reading this who won't be in class or aren't students at U.B.

While searching for the quote for this title, I found a few more that I loved. Here they are:

"Information on the Internet is subject to the same rules and regulations as a conversation at a bar."
– George Lundberg

"My favorite thing about the Internet is that you get to go into private world of real creeps without having to smell them."
– Penn Jillet

"Hooked on Internet? Help is just a click away."
– Author Unknown

"The Internet is the most powerful magnifier of slack ever invented."
– Author Unknown

"You can't take something off the Internet – it's like taking pee out of a pool."
– Author Unknown

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your layout. Can I ask how you got the frames to behave like that? Having a fixed header and footer with a text frame scrolling between them is a thing I haven't managed so far, but I'm still working on it for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I actually, literally, used "frames." Basically, the "frameset" page (which is the index.html file) sets up the browser window into as many columns and rows as I need, each one a separate html file. So, I have header.html in the header frame, main.html in the main frame, and menu.html in the menu frame, and they're all tied together with the index file's frameset option. It's sort of like tables but behaves differently.

    So, anytime a link is clicked, it gets directed to the main frame (A.K.A. the middle). The header and menu stay in their fixed positions because they are, technically, separate webpages, and you can only scroll in one at a time (besides, the menu and header frames aren't big enough to need scrolling). If I want a link to go outside my website, I can target it to _new or _blank to go to a new window/tab, and if I want a link to replace my website (load on the "top," like a normal link on a website without frames), I can target it to _top. Then the user would click on the link, and it would leave my header and menu behind. Take a look at the code. Remember that you can also right-click in any of the three frames to get the code for that specific page.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete