Saturday, October 2, 2010

"In this case, kill Marlon. He gets on my tits."

– Liam Hammond, a poster on the Aaron's Story blog

According to Urban Dictionary, the phrase "gets on my tits," which I'd never heard until today, is (1) a "verb used to signify a singular subject that bothers you" or (2) a "verb to describe someone who pisses you off." It can also be used in the plural ("get on my tits"). The (singular) example sentence is the following: "Senseless violence really gets on my tits."

Aside from the fact that user "ejito" of Urban Dictionary is technically wrong – it's a verb phrase, not a verb, and may even have other names as well – I find his/her definition rather intoxicating. It uses the word "tits" in a way that not only evokes the proper mood, tone, and branding of a website called Urban Dictionary but also reminds me that there is a big world out there, with tons and tons of languages, idioms, and slang words/phrases.

Before today, I never would have thought to say or write something like, "He really gets on my tits" – or, to push the definition to its limits, "Geez, would you get off my tits already?" Maybe that's because I don't have any literal tits to get on (unlike Michael Moore, apparently), but it's also because I didn't grow up with that particular phrase. One reason I love traveling is that I get to see how people talk in different parts of the U.S. and the world. I suppose, in this case, the Internet rendered traveling unnecessary. I was able to sit in the comfort of my own home, on my bed, and read all about how to get on someone's tits, and then write about it, properly.

Today, I'm a happy writer.

1 comment:

  1. Urban Dictionary huh? I need to check that out. I'm a fan of the book Wicked Words. I just learned on Thursday that "intellectual" is an insult when speaking to macho men because who wants to be known for having any kind of smarts?

    ReplyDelete